Original School Building

The old "Baton Rouge College" was the first house used as the State School for the Deaf in Louisiana. The school opened on December 8, 1852, with eleven pupils in attendance. It was located on the northwest corner of the former grounds of the Institute for the Deaf which were purchased by the State in 1852. This picture of the building was drawn from memory by the late Mr. Joseph Labrans, deaf artist of New Orleans, an early pupil of the Institute.